Worked on the Superdrug account for Maybelline and L'Oreal Paris cosmetics.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Overall, my experience as a Commercial Intern at L'Oreal has been enjoyable. The experience that I have acquired (e.g. organisation, inter-personal, communicative) has been invaluable and I feel I have grown in confidence and maturity. Despite this, there have been times when I feel the company has not offered the support required in order for me to fulfil certain tasks.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The majority of tasks I have completed I have felt appreciated by my colleagues, particularly by my second manager.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support and guidance has been intermittent but I think this is due to the fast paced nature of the division I work in.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I have always had tasks to be getting on with. The volume of these peak around re-merches and presentations.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was surprised by the amount of responsibility I was given. For instance to handle the delicate issue of pricing with a buyer.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that I have developed (e.g. organisation, time management, inter-personal) will be invaluable during my final year at university.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Lively, bubbly, motivating.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
When I first joined the company, my internship was not well organised (i.e. I had no desktop, log in, desk space) but this has improved since. Much depends on the organisation of your manager.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have had an array of training offered to me as an intern which will be useful for after university. I have also become familiar with EPOS data.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I will keep L'Oreal in mind for future employment however I would like experience at another company.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are bars, pubs and restaurants in the area.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?