My job role was to work alongside Product Managers to help them design and create marketing materials to be used for the sales force and also for external customers.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I loved my placement here!
It was a great experience where I learnt lots, not only about the job role but also about how companies work. I also met a great group of people!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued as employees were happy to praise you for any work you did for them. It made me feel like I was helping them out.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager gave me constant supervision throughout my placement in different formats.
We often had one-to-ones where he gave me feedback, both positive and where I could improve. We also had a mid-year review where we assessed my skills half way through the placement year.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This was dependent on the time of year, Some parts were incredibly busy whereas other parts were a lot quieter. The good thing about this placement was that in my small team, we were able to distribute tasks between us if our workload got too much. We could also ask for more work if we were quiet and my manager was happy to give me extra - they like to see that you are proactive!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a huge amount of responsibility. A lot of the projects I led/took part in involved higher members of the organisation so I had to do my best to please them. I also created documents to be used externally so would be used by surgeons in theatres and also patients pre and post operations - this was a lot of pressure as they had to be perfect!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My placement not only increased my skills in the job role (for example, organisation, creativity and communication), it also increased my knowledge of global companies and how they work.
These skills will aid me in the completion of my third year of university as my work will be of a much higher standard and my work ethic will also have improved from my previous year of university.
This placement has helped me to see what route I would like to go down for my career post-university when before this year I didn't have a clue!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was great! Everyone was really friendly and made me feel really welcome!
I felt part of the team and was able to make friends with other colleagues here of all ages!
I felt that I was able to go and ask for help by anyone if it was needed.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was extremely organised. We were given an organised handover from the previous years placement students and we were also given lots of training to understand the company. This training involved Product Training, GXRS training and also training in Health Care Compliance.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My Manager was great at helping me develop my personal skills. When he saw something I could improve on, he told me and also suggested ways in how I could improve. This helped me improve in the skill as I knew exactly how to go about it.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing! I would definitely work for JnJ again.
I'm even looking into applying for Graduate Roles within the company for when I finish my third year at university because I enjoyed my year so much!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
the social scene was great. All the placement students got on really well and organised our own get-togethers. We were also invited to leaving parties for other employees in our offices which was lovely.
the social highlight for me was the Christmas party. It was so much fun and a huge amount of people from the company attended.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living in Leeds isn't particularly high, I've lived in Leeds whilst at university as well so I'm used to the cost! I'd say its low to mid-range.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I love the night life in Leeds. As previously said, I am at university in Leeds so already know all the Student places to go. Most of them occur during the week so it was nice to be able to find places to go that students normally wouldn't.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were lots of CSR activities to get involved in which was great. There was the opportunity to go to Malawai with the Open Arms charity that a girl in my team went on and looked amazing.