Student Chemist at Lubrizol

Derby East Midlands
Automotive Chemistry

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

8.5/10

I worked as a student chemist in the Applied Science department. I mostly did Physical and Analytical chemistry in order to tackle problems which provided fundamental knowledge to the company as well as creating data that could be used in marketing of Lubrizol's products.

The placement exceeded expectations. It allowed me to learn and perform a very wide variety of experiments. All placement students are treated like full time members of staff. Lubrizol as a company treats it staff exceedingly well with bonuses and rewards.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The work environment was very good - hard working but also relaxed. I got on well with all my direct colleagues and even those on site who you didn't know were friendly. My ideas were listened to and I begin to become an expert in certain aspects of the job meaning that people would come to me for advice.

My supervisor was excellent. I almost always knew the reason why I was doing a certain piece of work as well as understanding the scientific basis behind it. My supervisor was always there to help or listen with regards to any piece of work and I was also challenged by them in a constructive way.

I almost always had meaningful and essential work to do which meant it was rarely boring.

A large amount of responsibility. I was greatly involved in the process of many important projects as well as being trusted to try some of my own ideas. I saw one project in particular through from start to finish which was a very satisfying experience. During this project I had a very large amount of responsibility.

This placement taught me many different skills and scientific techniques which I would not have done in my degree studies. In addition my whole mind set towards tackling scientific problems grew. It furthered my skills of rationally approaching problems as well as thinking through various avenues to solve a problem before actually heading into the lab. Further more I learnt that in science things are seldom simple so patience and perseverance are key.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The atmosphere was very good - I sat with two very qualified chemists and this meant I learnt a great deal from them. Not just from our conversations but also seeing how they operate. We had good laughs as well as frequent in depth discussions about chemistry which sparked ideas.

Lubrizol's setup for accommodating placement students is excellent.

The company invests a great deal in their students. We were given opportunities to go to informative lectures and present on our work.

If I had the opportunity to work for them in the future I probably would.

Very good - the sports and social club enabled me to meet people from all over site as well as doing new things. A particularly enjoying trip was a "Munro Bagging Trip" in the Highlands of Scotland. Lubrizol take on ~25 placement students so there was a very good social scene within this too. In addition various trips were organised amongst myself and my direct colleagues such as attending a charity football match at Old Trafford.

The cost of living was relatively low.

Yes - see section about social scene.