Purchasing Assistant at Lubrizol

Belper, Derbyshire East Midlands
Purchasing and Supply

Lubrizol is a Top Employer

8.6/10

I was given full responsibility and encouraged to work independently on tasks.
Everybody I worked with, in the purchasing department and around site were really supportive and friendly - it's a great place to work, as it has such a positive environment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

The fact I was left to work independently (with help if I needed it), made me feel like a Lubrizol employee, rather than just a year placement student.
I was given real-life tasks to work on, that effect the business - It felt like a real job, rather than a placement.

Support and guidance was always available if i needed it; My manager, supervisor/colleagues always made sure to offer support. I always felt like i could ask for help and never afraid to approach my colleagues if I needed to.

There is always something to do in the purchasing department at Lubrizol, everyday is different, which keeps the job role interesting and never dull! Every day you learn something new, which is why I think I really adapted to the placement.

I was surprised how much responsibility I was given during my placement, every task I was given effect the organisation at small-medium level. As i mentioned in one of my previous answers, I was definitely treated more as Lubrizol employee, rather than just a placement student.

The skills/training I have developed throughout my placement have helped me to understand theories I have learnt so far in my degree and apply them to real-life. This has helped me to understand why we are taught certain subjects and apply skills I have learnt at Lubrizol to topics covered at University.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 3 roles at Lubrizol

If i was to describe the purchasing department at Lubrizol in three words, it would be:

Positive
Busy
Flexible

Everybody made sure to communicate and, take interest in each others hobbies etc. as well as work together on tasks and help each other if needed.

A 3 month handover is provided for every purchasing student, therefore enough time is given so the student feels comfortable before taking on the role independently.

The current student is responsible for the 3 month handover, which means a lot of trust/responsibility is given to every purchasing student.

I had the opportunity to experience a day in HR/Marketing and Sales, which wasn't something Lubrizol had to provide me, which I really appreciated.

I feel everyday I developed within my role through practice, experience and learning new skills. Every time the role is handed over to a new student, a lot of knowledge is taken away from the department, meaning a lot of time and effort has to go into training students, to try and avoid this happening - therefore I feel a lot of training and development was provided by Lubrizol during my placement.

Extremely appealing - working for Lubrizol during 2015-2016 has been a great opportunity and I would be interested in returning to the company if any job opportunities were to come up in the future.

There is a lot of sports and social activities to attend every month, a restaurant on site, were a lot of employee's go to on their lunch break.

Very low - it's as expensive as you make it.

Hazelwood is about a 10 minute drive from Derby city centre

Yes - quite a few.
There was at least one-two event happening every month, if not more.