1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed it a lot. It's similar to my course and I loved my course.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very valued. I do a real employee's job. The stuff I do matters.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I needed to ask a lot of questions to do my job, they were answered.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy. Stayed late quite a lot in the first half of my placement. Busy over quarter end which for quarter 4 landed over New Year. But busy is good. There is nothing worse than doing nothing for 7.5hrs a day.
I do not know how to rate this question, so leaving it at 5 - the middle.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Invaluable experience. Directly links to my course. I want to do this as a career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Friendly. Moved to open plan half way through, which made it easier to approach other finance managers.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
You're treated more as full-time staff, so find it difficult to answer that question. Leaving at a 5/10.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There wasn't any opportunity for training/development which cost money. But I did have an 'SAP guru' visit me on 2 occasions which was very beneficial to the efficiency of my work.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
this Placement Year
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to continue within GE when I graduate. There is a GE programme called FMP (Financial Management Programme), so I hope this internship will open that door in the future.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The interns never socialised out of work hours. We all live in different directions, an hour each way.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home. Parents charged 1/6th of my wage. Saw lots of school friends who had graduated/were on placement too/never went to uni.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
No idea, never went out. Previous interns went out in Ascot which apparently was good. Leaving as 5/10.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I may have got the wrong end of the stick here... But I attended classes at the local (to work) gym & joined a local (to home) choir.