A mixture of experiences in multiple fields from signalling
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
For most of the year I was working in the mailbox in Birmingham, here I did not get much/any work even after asking. I did get some, but from another team which whilst is good to learn different areas it was not good on the organisation's part. I now spend most of my time in the depot where I am given a lot more work to do and the atmosphere is great.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Whilst in Birmingham very little from with the team I was given no work and even though I did do scanning etc for people when they offered feel this was not the intention of the year. However in Stafford I felt very much appreciated.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Some whilst in Birmingham, and whilst not always immediate in stafford whenever I needed help it was exactly what i needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
In Birmingham not at all apart from the work from another team. I always asked for work, probably annoying people in the process but didn't get much. When I went to Stafford however there was never a shortage and felt like they really appreciated it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Birmingham-not much. Stafford -lots, i was always trying to make a difference and make improvements as well as setting up meeting for everyone.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Somewhat helped, I am a mechanical engineer and although the placement is not pure mech it did help me develop business skills, electrical skills and wider knowledge.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Stafford: really friendly, helpful and always laughing
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Not at all, at the start there were so many mix ups and it felt like they did not know i was coming and had no plan structure.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Birmingham: some, i gained personal track safety
Stafford; there has not been much formal training but plenty of explaining and going on site
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would say definitely for Stafford
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
no, at first there was but after getting tired of people not making the effort I have found people outside of work in Birmingham to spend time with. However I have gone out with colleagues from stafford
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I live in the city center of Birmingham so yeah...
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Great place to go for a night out, so many places especially done the canals which no-one seemed to know about.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?