Signal engineer year in industry at Network Rail

Electronic and Electrical Engineering

4.0/10

3.3
4.0

A mixture of experiences in multiple fields from signalling

For most of the year I was working in the mailbox in Birmingham, here I did not get much/any work even after asking. I did get some, but from another team which whilst is good to learn different areas it was not good on the organisation's part. I now spend most of my time in the depot where I am given a lot more work to do and the atmosphere is great.

Whilst in Birmingham very little from with the team I was given no work and even though I did do scanning etc for people when they offered feel this was not the intention of the year. However in Stafford I felt very much appreciated.

Some whilst in Birmingham, and whilst not always immediate in stafford whenever I needed help it was exactly what i needed.

In Birmingham not at all apart from the work from another team. I always asked for work, probably annoying people in the process but didn't get much. When I went to Stafford however there was never a shortage and felt like they really appreciated it.

Birmingham-not much. Stafford -lots, i was always trying to make a difference and make improvements as well as setting up meeting for everyone.

Somewhat helped, I am a mechanical engineer and although the placement is not pure mech it did help me develop business skills, electrical skills and wider knowledge.

Birmingham: stale
Stafford: really friendly, helpful and always laughing

Not at all, at the start there were so many mix ups and it felt like they did not know i was coming and had no plan structure.

Birmingham: some, i gained personal track safety
Stafford; there has not been much formal training but plenty of explaining and going on site

I would say definitely for Stafford

no, at first there was but after getting tired of people not making the effort I have found people outside of work in Birmingham to spend time with. However I have gone out with colleagues from stafford

I live in the city center of Birmingham so yeah...

Great place to go for a night out, so many places especially done the canals which no-one seemed to know about.

Yeah plenty of things to keep you occupied