Project Control Administrator/Coordinator, the areas of involvement were, Project Planning and Scheduling - updating and maintaining accurate, up to date, schedules with the project team; maintaining billing information (internally). Cost Control - maintaining accurate bookings to the project, conducting monthly cost to completion exercises with the team and ensuring monthly updates provide accurate financial detail. Reports - generating Work Breakdown Structures, Project Control Boards and Monthly and Quarterly reports; generating of other project presentations as required General - supporting the Project Manager in any way that provides value for the project; facilitating meetings; maintaining project files; answering miscellaneous queries; dealing with other departments.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Great personal development but job role become slightly tedious.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
At the start of the placement I felt rather useless but once my skills developed I become just like an other ordinary team member.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Regular meetings with my manager to guide me through any difficulties. Support from each team member was provided when required.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This would fluctuate a lot, some days were long and little work would arise. However some days I would be fully maxed out.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Like one of my previous comments, at the start of placement I had little responsibility and involvement due to lack of expertise but over time as my skills increased I had as much responsibility as other team members.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I've strengthened all my core business skills and developed new ones by learning from others around me. I'm in a better mind frame for my final year due to my placement.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
All my team members were friendly and we would have small discussions however overall the office was quite.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
At the start of placement training was scheduled formally but once complete job tasks were not fully acknowledged thus I had to become very flexible. I had no day to day basis job roles.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Overall the company provided a standard level of training at the start of the placement. However all team members provided the time whenever I required help, some often would ask if I wanted sessions in expanding my skills in different tools.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would happily work for a GE company again however would look to move industry as the aviation industry did not provide much interest to myself.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We had several team events and there was an intern social media site. Fortunately I lived with other interns and we all bonded extremely well thus making our own social events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was based in Cheltenham, although this is a town it has city prices. Although has various cheap supermarkets on the towns outskirts (Aldi).
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Every weekend the town was relatively busy as there was several small sister university campuses however it was nothing compared to a city.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A few, the majority of my team had children thus had other commitments. Although I found people in other departments ran a few weekly social football matches.