Finance Analyst Intern at GE (General Electric)

Leicester East Midlands

8.3/10

Thoroughly enjoyed the placement. Able to network with a wide range of interns from various departments.
Also given exposure to various aspects of the business which allowed me to develop within my chosen area.

I was able to be work very closely with my colleagues. The most important thing for me was that I was not treated as "just an intern". I was treated as a valued employee, and my colleagues were always available to help in anytime of need.

The staff within the department, as well as manager, were always willing to help. However, I was always told to think outside the box when carrying out a particular task before asking for any support and/or guidance. Although this was a difficult approach to start off with, I was able to grow as person as this allowed me to use my initiative.

Within my time at GE, there never came a point where there was nothing to do. Some days were extremely busy, especially during the month end and quarter end period. This meant I had to carefully plan and prioritise my tasks, as well as managing my time effectively.
On the other hand, some days were not so busy. Therefore, during this period I would take the opportunity to reflect upon certain tasks I have completed and ensure I am completing to the best I can. If there was any way I could improve certain reports or dashboard that I created, I would take this opportunity to implement these changes, whilst consulting my manager.

Due to working within a fairly small Finance department at GE, I was able to take on a lot of responsibility. However, this was a gradual increase in responsibility as and when I became more confident with certain tasks and the programs which I was using.
I would not be pushed into certain tasks by my manager, I would always be asked whether a certain task was within my capability and whether I needed extra support to complete this task.

I have not yet had the opportunity to use the working skills and knowledge within my degree course specifically, simply because I have not yet started my final year. However, I have had a presentation as part of my university portfolio. by carrying out a couple of presentation during my placement year to the leadership team, this allowed me to build upon my confidence as well as my communication skills. I was to use this effectively within my university presentation.

Very good atmosphere in the office. We as a Finance department were sharing within another department which made it a lot of enjoyable.

The placement was generally well organised. However, one suggestion I would probably make would be to give the new placement students additional training at the start of the placement.

Overall, the company invested a lot of time and effort in to our future. As a site we have approximately 15 interns. Therefore, we were able to carry out various training programs and events to help develop our skills.

General Electric has a Financial Management Program (FMP) which is extremely beneficial for a placement student who wants to continue to develop their career within the Finance field, at GE.

As we had a large amount of placement students on site, we were able to hold various social events and gatherings. This allowed us to get to know one another a bit more.

Cost of living is fairly reasonable within the area.

The Groby site is about a 20 minute drive form the City Centre which is extremely good for nightlife.

The company gave us the opportunity to attend a six sigma course.