1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed the placement. Able to network with a wide range of interns from various departments.
Also given exposure to various aspects of the business which allowed me to develop within my chosen area.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was able to be work very closely with my colleagues. The most important thing for me was that I was not treated as "just an intern". I was treated as a valued employee, and my colleagues were always available to help in anytime of need.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The staff within the department, as well as manager, were always willing to help. However, I was always told to think outside the box when carrying out a particular task before asking for any support and/or guidance. Although this was a difficult approach to start off with, I was able to grow as person as this allowed me to use my initiative.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Within my time at GE, there never came a point where there was nothing to do. Some days were extremely busy, especially during the month end and quarter end period. This meant I had to carefully plan and prioritise my tasks, as well as managing my time effectively.
On the other hand, some days were not so busy. Therefore, during this period I would take the opportunity to reflect upon certain tasks I have completed and ensure I am completing to the best I can. If there was any way I could improve certain reports or dashboard that I created, I would take this opportunity to implement these changes, whilst consulting my manager.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Due to working within a fairly small Finance department at GE, I was able to take on a lot of responsibility. However, this was a gradual increase in responsibility as and when I became more confident with certain tasks and the programs which I was using.
I would not be pushed into certain tasks by my manager, I would always be asked whether a certain task was within my capability and whether I needed extra support to complete this task.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have not yet had the opportunity to use the working skills and knowledge within my degree course specifically, simply because I have not yet started my final year. However, I have had a presentation as part of my university portfolio. by carrying out a couple of presentation during my placement year to the leadership team, this allowed me to build upon my confidence as well as my communication skills. I was to use this effectively within my university presentation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very good atmosphere in the office. We as a Finance department were sharing within another department which made it a lot of enjoyable.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was generally well organised. However, one suggestion I would probably make would be to give the new placement students additional training at the start of the placement.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Overall, the company invested a lot of time and effort in to our future. As a site we have approximately 15 interns. Therefore, we were able to carry out various training programs and events to help develop our skills.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
General Electric has a Financial Management Program (FMP) which is extremely beneficial for a placement student who wants to continue to develop their career within the Finance field, at GE.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As we had a large amount of placement students on site, we were able to hold various social events and gatherings. This allowed us to get to know one another a bit more.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living is fairly reasonable within the area.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The Groby site is about a 20 minute drive form the City Centre which is extremely good for nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company gave us the opportunity to attend a six sigma course.