1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Very enjoyable with friendly staff and varied tasks from day to day.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Every bit of work we did was reviewed by seniors but ultimately was used as part of the accounting procedures. Every member of the various teams was welcoming.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Two work appraisals in 8 weeks and had a counselling manager and buddy provided.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On away jobs there was always something to do and get involved in, on the rare occasion I was in the office there were times when there wasn't anything to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Responsible for my own work and getting information from clients and compiling data to be used later by seniors. The work was varied and quick learning required.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Much better idea of what accounting is like in real life rather than from a lecture theatre, will hopefully help with modules that relate to real world finance. The different presentations we did will also aid in coursework presentations also.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Work/fun balance was great, work was always done but there were jokes and treats! Everyone was friendly.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
This was the first BDO internship ever but was well organised with appropriate training and regular training in London throughout. The work was varied but depended more on the time of year rather than the organisation.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Alot, in 8 weeks we spent over 2 weeks training in london spread out over the internship and this coupled with the training on the job meant we were always learning.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
We all had final interviews at the end but have not found out yet if we have jobs. It was said that we would be almost guaranteed jobs however.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Whenever we all met up in London we were put up on hotels and all the placement students in hotels would meet up after training.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Southampton is a student city and so was not expensive if you went to the right places.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Student city, lots to do!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
We had staff parties and a corporate social responsibility day, clearing a local park.