1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoy my work placement in Toyota so far and I genuinely think this is one of the best companies I will ever work in my life. There is always something to look forward to and every day is a learning day! Definitely recommend it to every student currently looking for a placement!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
We constantly have one-to-one meetings and based on the feedback given by my manager, I do feel valued by her. Not just with my manager, my colleague has always told me how lucky he feels to have me working in the team. Based on these statements, I feel that they really appreciate my effort and contribution.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
On my first day joining Toyota, my manager has given me full support in all aspects. She never fails to provide me with guidance on all the work I have done despite her busy schedule and also explain the reasons behind them to me. Additionally, she will share her previous similar experience with me and help me understand the situation better.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Every day is a different day. There are certain days that are so busy that you can only grab a quick lunch and get back to work, however there are also days where things all go really well and just makes the day really easy. On average, the amount of work is sufficient enough to keep you occupied and you will never ask yourself 'what shall I do next?'
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Quite a lot of responsibility actually. Due to the nature of this role, we need to look after customer queries and help develop our current customer-facing platforms simultaneously, meaning that all actions I take may have a direct impact towards our customers and really need to think twice to avoid making wrong decisions.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe the skills I have developed so far will undoubtedly assist me further with my studies in university and also in future workplace. This placement not only further enhanced my transferable skills such as communication and active learning but also developed my business acumen and some legal awareness which we do not really get to learn in universities.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is the best I have experienced so far! There are laughter, pressures and sometimes a combination of both. Generally, I think all colleagues who make up the atmosphere are really easy to get along with which make this workplace one of the best to work in. A great working environment also means that you really get to enjoy your work and every day is a happy working day.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
From the first day, I can see that everything's is already planned ahead with managers setting up annual objectives and explaining the skills that she hope to see I have developed by the end of my placement. As the placement goes along, things sometimes change slightly and we always get time together to refocus on our objectives and following actions to take in order to achieve them and further develop my skills.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Every month, my manage and I will have our one-to-one sessions. During these sessions, my manager will listen to my progress and ask me if I face any difficulties in terms of job content or workload. Every time I explain the situation to her and the barriers I face, she always provide me with practical advice. From a company's perspective, the only investment I know is that we have numerous online training tools that we can utilise to develop our abilities such as visualisation etc.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would definitely say get a job with this company! I can really see how they want to develop you and always support you through all the difficulties you face. More importantly, they teach you how to view one situation from multiple perspectives and reach consensus with others in order to deliver the best outcome. Additionally, there are ten competencies which the company hope all employees can develop and I think these are the skills we will always need no matter which industry we work in.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We all get along quite well not just in work but also from a social aspect.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Not much of a nightlife person.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a sports and social club within the company that you get to know other people in the industry that you never get to work with. Unfortunately I haven't got the opportunity to join any of their activities so far.