Placement Engineer at Network Rail

5.5/10

6.5

4.5

Asset Management, Structures

My experience of Network Rail is that it has been a friendly and inclusive environment. Taking my contributions in meetings seriously was a particular aspect that made me feel valued.

Number of tasks on a day to day basis varied heavily. I felt that I needed to prioritise work, and I was never put in a position where I didn't have anything to do.

I would have liked to be given more responsibility over the course of the placement.
I was in charge of one project which involved incorporating other placement students and Engineers.

Part of the placement involved Structural Analysis which directly tied into concepts I had learnt in class. Making decisions on the ground that related to bending moment diagrams will help me with future projects at University.

The office I was based in was fairly full and there is always some office banter in both the team I was and others.

The application process had many problems:
- the links for the online tests didn't work first time
- an online recorded interview (where I was given a weekend to take it in) was very demotivating
- after the first application deadline it was over 3 months since I heard whether I had got through the automatic stages to the application day.

When arriving at the office I discovered the team I was in had only known I was coming the day before. It took a week to get any access to IT and many other training sessions that were needed to be in place took a long time to be set up.
This was frustrating.

Limited training and development opportunities have been made available.
Each placement student was placed in one department, I found there was not an opportunity to move around and experience different parts of the Company.

Many Graduates are enjoying the programme here which has made me want to apply for a place when I graduate.

There has been no social interaction amongst the placement students as there is no training together, so finding out who else is here as a placement student was difficult at the beginning.

Around my place of work the scene is very vibrant, lively and busy in the evenings.