1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My experience of Network Rail is that it has been a friendly and inclusive environment. Taking my contributions in meetings seriously was a particular aspect that made me feel valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Number of tasks on a day to day basis varied heavily. I felt that I needed to prioritise work, and I was never put in a position where I didn't have anything to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I would have liked to be given more responsibility over the course of the placement.
I was in charge of one project which involved incorporating other placement students and Engineers.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Part of the placement involved Structural Analysis which directly tied into concepts I had learnt in class. Making decisions on the ground that related to bending moment diagrams will help me with future projects at University.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office I was based in was fairly full and there is always some office banter in both the team I was and others.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The application process had many problems:
- the links for the online tests didn't work first time
- an online recorded interview (where I was given a weekend to take it in) was very demotivating
- after the first application deadline it was over 3 months since I heard whether I had got through the automatic stages to the application day.
When arriving at the office I discovered the team I was in had only known I was coming the day before. It took a week to get any access to IT and many other training sessions that were needed to be in place took a long time to be set up.
This was frustrating.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Limited training and development opportunities have been made available.
Each placement student was placed in one department, I found there was not an opportunity to move around and experience different parts of the Company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Many Graduates are enjoying the programme here which has made me want to apply for a place when I graduate.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There has been no social interaction amongst the placement students as there is no training together, so finding out who else is here as a placement student was difficult at the beginning.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Around my place of work the scene is very vibrant, lively and busy in the evenings.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?