Non Technical: printing, photocopying, drafting letters to clients and HMRC, calling HMRC, research on companies, creating folders for companies.
Technical: ammending and doing tax computations using information sent from clients using Alphatax software, "controls" - spreadsheet to ensure division meets all deadline
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
HR structured the internship really well especially the first week where all interns across UK were put in a hotel; good opportunity to break the ice and had 3 days technical training to give good overview of business. 5 weeks in the office enabled interaction with colleagues and better understanding of business.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Varied. Recent graduates were very friendly and talkative once they knew who you were. Felt that had to approach others and introduce myself much more often than people came to you. Really nice once unfamiliarity barrier broken down.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone and anyone always and happy willing to help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
The more people I introduced myself to, the more varied and interesting the work got. Rarely too busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
People trusted you to get on with the work
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Basic things such as using excel or work or tax related software are all things that will benefit me for life. Even phonecalls and drafting letters vastly improves communications skills which are invaluable taking forward.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very relaxed. Everyone gets on with one another well. Birthdays mean free cakes for everyone...
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Structured perfectly: good blend of work and socialising
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
3 days techinical training first week. Colleagues willing to spend as much time as it took to make sure you understood what you were doing.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Again, first week everyone in hotel from all UK, penultimate day had CSR day working in nature park, group presentations meant constant communication.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London so expensive but has subsidised canteen where food is good and chaep
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
London so always buzzing
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
CSR days, HR organised a bowling social on last night.