First Year Summer Intern at HSBC

Banking - Retail

HSBC is a Top Employer

8.4/10

I was given a project to undertake which was based on Customer Satisfaction. For this, I remodelled the branch’s Exit Surveys to make them more relevant to our customers, which in turn helped staff to make continuous improvements. I also created a tracker for the Exit Surveys.
I assisted my line manager in creating simplified ways to keep track of the Business Wealth Opportunities within the branch and the leads that are to be sent from Premier to Private Banking.
Finally I critically addressed improvements that could be made to the branch, in terms of both aesthetics and staff and customer satisfaction. This included noting repairs that needed to be made and following them up to ensure they were done.

I thoroughly enjoy my time in this placement. The atmosphere was great and gave me a real insight into Retail Banking. This placement really helped to change my preconceptions and was a highly valuable experience. Would definitely recommend it.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

Everyone was welcoming right from the start. They really helped to settle me in and integrate me as one of the team. Made some really good friends that I hope I will in contact with!

My manager was always available for a "quick 5minutes" which promptly turned into an hour's discussion. Always helped and offered me any guidance I needed and was always willing to assist me in learning about other aspects of the business outside retail banking.

I think the branch is unique. How busy or bored you are depends entirely on that particular day. On occasions it can be short staffed so you have to man the frontline and for some reason there are a stampede of customers, other days it can be too quiet. I can say that I was never bored in my placement and had time to get my other projects done.

I was given full responsibility over my project and over the various ad hoc tasks that I was set. Including documents and stats there were to be used in RBM and SSM meetings for the managers.

I think this placement definitely increased my confidence significantly. It made me more assertive and less afraid to ask for assitance and to delegate when required. These are all skills that I can transfer to other areas of my life.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 1 role at HSBC

It was great. Everyone was really friendly. From the warm welcome in the mornings, to the Friday dance to say 'Happy Friday', there was never a dull moment. Everyone looked out for you and there was always someone to talk to if you had any queries.

It was well organised and the induction and the experience day were invaluable experiences. The community day was great and gave us the opportunity to explore some of the other projects that HSBC value.

HSBC really invest into their interns and have a buddy system that has been great. Their grad scheme provides staff with a months training as well.

Would love to work for this organisation in the future as it really ties in with my personality and core values.

Regular socials were organised all this was done by the interns themselves.

In central london socialising can be expensive however the discounts the placement offered made things like going to the theatre much cheaper.

In central london. You can't get bored.

Still in London.