1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really enjoyed being involved in the QEC Aircraft Carrier project. Although it was a huge project with many aspects the team really helped me get to grips with it.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The whole office was friendly towards us. We were helped along the way by our mentors and by our managers and made to feel like part of the overall team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Our supervisors did change around due to one of them having to move to a new location, regardless of the change around we were still supported.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was pretty busy, I also got involved in a stretch assignment to organise the Intern Conference. The workload was not overwhelming by any means however and all tasks given to us were well within our capabilities of doing.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given plenty of responsibility, especially when it came to organising the conference. We were also involved in meetings at a high level which was really good for our development.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I learnt were fantastic. What BAE do really well is not discriminate based on degree title. Even though I came from a degree background that had little to do with Project Management BAE saw potential and took into account what else I had done other than my degree. I was therefore given a valuable chance to gain a whole set of new skills which have in fact assisted me in more than just my studies but in general organisation of people and tasks. My degree background did not hold me back either when learning how to complete tasks. All that is needed is the drive to learn and apply what skills you already have.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was friendly and not intense. It was also very professional.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Due to the nature of working in the defence sector some elements took a long time due to security clearance issues, which is understandable. The internship was however organised very well and we were looked after throughout it.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We were given fantastic opportunities. BAE even flew us up to Rosyth to actually walk around on the Aircraft carriers. I also got the chance to visit other sites such as Portsmouth Naval docks. Our managers were enthusiastic about us getting out there and seeing as much as possible and learning on the job.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes were did go out a few times together
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there are, I got involved in the 5 a side football which was good fun and got to meet colleagues from different departments.