New Business Development at Holborn Assets

Dubai Nationwide
Accountancy Administration/Secretarial Human Resources

9.3/10

9.4

The overall exposure and on-the job training experience in all departments was one of the best the company could offer for my placement year. Some of my key responsibilities include:

- Assist to digitalise all paperwork in order to achieve a paperless company
- Maintain a proper and efficient filing system of all company documentation
- Substitute roles for employees (who were away) to ensure and prevent any bottlenecks in performing their tasks/responsibilities. This provided a great deal of exposure in developing skills such as task management, prioritising, organisation skills and multi-tasking.
- Working and supporting the PA to the Board of Directors in organizing meetings, scheduling appointments, coordinating company events, handling and be a part of key projects in all divisions including Business, Operations, Digital Marketing, Administration, Finance, etc.

Well the work placement at Holborn Assets was more than a placement year for me. The on-the job rotational training in all divisions was an amazing experience that gave me the opportunity to learn and get an insight in to all aspects of the company in just 12 months. I enjoyed working with different caliber of professionals and learning a variety of skills throughout the months.

I felt like I was making a contribution and my opinions or suggestions were valued because they were welcome with open positive feedback. Also, I could see my work adding value such as nearing the targets of achieving a paperless office by digitising all paperwork.

As a newbie, I was given a lot of support from all peers and colleagues at Holborn Assets.

On a daily basis, I was involved in multiple projects, both small and large, in the Holborn Assets Dubai office. Although I was not up to my nose with work, the daily tasks and responsibilities were quite adequate to keep me busy.

Depending on the project and requirements, responsibility differed. I was given a fair amount of responsibility when digitising all the paper work as it had to be methodical and well organised. In addition, working with the PA was also a great deal of responsibility especially in the area of organising company events.

My degree covers a variety of areas in the field of Business Administration. So, in terms of assisting my degree studies and developing skills, the experience at Holborn Assets helped me immensely during case study assignments. Working in different divisions and taking up multiple projects, dealing with individuals at all levels helped develop soft skills, time management, organisation skills, and being solutions-oriented.

As a financial advisory firm, Holborn Assets work environment is very professional. However, that doesn’t mean the office is very rigid and controlling. I can say, everyone is professional and approachable. The cafeteria is one place you could take a break, relax and get back to work mode.

This was the first time Holborn Assets offered work placements for university students for one year. On the first week, there was the Introduction Tour and an Employee/ Beginner’s Handbook to get familiar with the workplace policies. As my work involved lots of projects, everything had a smooth flow in terms of work arrangement.

This is one aspect the company invests heavily on – training and development. I attended several seminars related to my degree.

Very appealing! Upon completing the placement year with Holborn Assets, I think I have proven myself with the necessary skills and work experience as a prospective candidate for the company.

During my tenure at the company, there was only 2 other placement students working under the Digital Marketing divisions. They were from UK and very friendly – especially when we got to share our University and work experiences.

Working in Dubai is not cheap, especially accommodation! Although the country is known as a ‘tax-free’ heaven, activities such as - dinning out, the famous brunches, drinking, partying, clubs and pubs – may cost you astonishing amounts.

As the expat community is at large, nightlife is quite bustling. The majority of the people go out frequently but be careful as laws in Dubai are quite strict.

There are a lot of things to do outside work – mostly shopping and sports. Dubai also hosts numerous events throughout the year. In addition, people can get off to visit the other emirates such as Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, etc.