INTERN ENGINEER at Eaton

Mansfield East Midlands
Mechanical Engineering

7.6/10

6.5

As a member of the Operations Team I was directly involved in many VAVE projects. This included three main projects throughout the year 2 of which I lead myself and the other was shared with my Supervisor the Senior Production Enginner. The job role was flexible and enabled me to experiance many areas of the company and the oppertunity to travel also.
The job role did not leave me office bound and there was plenty of oppertunity to increase my hands on experiance with machinery and equipment as well as CAD software and Rapid Prototyping equipment. In summary my placment has opened my eyes to the cooperate manufacturing industry and has given me a drive to excel at my studies as I return to University.

The experiance gained and knowledge retained is pricless, however I feel I could have achived even more if I had pushed a little harder.

At times there was very little I was able to do without assistance but as the year progressed I valued my role and colleagues began to appreciate my input and abilities.

My supervisor was excellent. He provided me with a set of tasks and left me to it. If I had any problems or was unsure of anything I could approach him with possible solutions I had derived and gain his opinion before implementing them. More often than not he would enhance the idea in some way and reach a greater finishing standard.

Work fluctuated between Hectic and almost stone dead but there was always oppertunities to go and look for work or use the time for re-enforcing work relationships with the operators.

I was project manager for a £50,000 project and also was requested to lead the commisioning of a production line over in Houston, Texas by my superiors. I was always given what I could handle and this increased as I developed.

The life experiance gained is priceless and from an engineers point of view it was a real insight into the manufacturing world. However its compatibility to my course at university is slightly less effective for anything but my Manufacturing related modules.

Very quiet at times as there were only 5 of us in the office and we were regularly out of the office on the shop floor whoch was much more fun and entertaining.

Organisation was very good for a scheme only a few years old. It has room for improvment but it was clear from managment that plans were being implemented continually to improve their industrial placments.

I attended plenty of internal training events throughout the year as well as some external events paid by the company.

The intern training events lead to some great nights out and really good fun days.

My place was out in the country a little which required driving everywhere making it a little harder to go out and have a good time without spending loads on a cab home!

Closest place was nottingham or derby both a good 40mins away!

Rock climbing and five-a-side footy every week.