Summer Intern at Accenture

Accenture based in London but commute to client in Horsham Central London and City
Management Consultancy

Accenture is a Top Employer

6.5/10

I worked in the testing team for Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA). This required testing the system before it can Go-Live. The testing team was split into different areas, and the team I was in was called 'Renewals' which invloved testing insurance policies from the date of renewal (at the end of the insurance year), when customers decide whether to continue with their policy, cancel their policy or to continue with changes to the policy etc. On a day to day basis, I run though test scripts, raise any problems that arise and re-test the problems as the Fix team solve the problem.

The internship went by pretty quickly. It began with an induction and training week where we took part in fun ice-breakers as well as training. This included working for a client on a case study and an excel course. During the rest of the internship, as well as work, there were different socials after-work with the team and we got to see all the other interns every Friday. The work got better as we progressed since we learnt more and more.

There was good team spirit and they helped me learn along the way. I sometimes had to work late in the evenings, but it was always appreciated by the team and managers.

At first, I didn't understand any of the acronyms or systems, but they were always willing to answer any questions and so I was able to pick up the job pretty quickly. They always found time to help out.

Days started at about 9:30 and finished at about 6:30. Some days finished at about 8:30/9 and I had to work on a couple of Saturdays. There were two weeks of program shutdown which was quiet.

I was doing the work analysts and consultants did and so I was given a fair amount of responsibility. I was given the same targets as the rest of the team.

The work I did was very specific to my project and so I am unable to apply them to University or other projects.

People got on with their work, but at the same time people were friendly, and so I went for lunch with them and met up with them after work.

There were organised socials every week and each person got a placement based on business demand at the time. I got a structured job role, so I knew what to do each day when I came into work. There were a number of organised networking and Q&A sessions as well.

I recieved an Excel training course in the induction week and learnt testing on the job.

Accenture is a big company with lots of projects to choose from as well as lots of perks. They are also employing a lot more people each year.

Every week we got to meet up with the interns and the socials were fun and well organised - they included a charity day, london eye social and more. the socials at work were also great including bowling and laser quest.

Cost of living was normal level - cheaper than London.

Horsham hasn't really got a nightlife, just lots and lots of restaurants. There was a nightlife in Crawley, but I didn't really go there - went to the restaurants instead.

There was sports availble 3 days a week but I spent most nights going for dinners with the rest of the team.