1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement year at Delcam, The work was interesting and varied, the people were excellent and always had the support I needed.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Was generally welcomed into all teams I became a part of during the course of the year and never felt like my contribution was less valuable being a placement student. In my experience, all staff were very welcoming, easy-going and happy to help you out if needed.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Always felt like I could ask anyone for help with regards to work, and had a designated supervisor who was excellent at taking care of anything placement/uni related.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Always had work to do, but wasn't extremely busy all the time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Variable between departments and projects, but generally a comfortable level of responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
As an applications engineer I built up knowledge and skills applicable to the advanced manufacturing industry, inspection and machining.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Always friendly and fun with plenty of tea.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was invited to take part in 2 day presentation training which was useful. I was sent on courses to learn relevant softwares and they were always happy to comply with uni regulations. For example supervisors gave up their time to watch a presentation I delivered about my placement to my uni tutor.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would happily return!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Made great friends with a lot of other graduates so there was plenty going on socially.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Reasonable in Birmingham
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Birmingham has plenty of nightlife of all kinds!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
The company organised social events to help the grads get to know each other. Theres a climbing club, hiking events organised and go-karting events.