I worked for Aon Hewitt in the investment practice. I worked primarily with the client group who advise trustees of pension schemes where to invest the money. The main tasks I was involved in were producing the bespoke quarterly reports for clients. I also had the opportunity to complete various other miscellaneous work that colleagues would pass onto me.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship was extremely enjoyable. The office were really friendly and the work interesting. I would definitely recommend it.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The office were really welcoming and always helped when I was stuck (which was quite a lot of the time!)
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My Manager was really supportive and held regular meeting to make sure there were no problems.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had work to do and whenever I was quiet, a quick email round the office for work would quickly fill up my desk!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was part of the team and had exactly the same responsibility as a new graduate. All my work was thoroughly checked, but that is the same for everyone.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed will help me greatly in my finance models next year. The knowledge I have gained about financial markets and the investment sector will greatly help me in my future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I really enjoyed my time in the Leeds office. There were plenty of opportunities in the office to socialise via sport or go for a drink after work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was organised well and I was kept informed of any changes or up and coming events by the graduate recruitment team. The internship had a clear structure and I recieved lots of information before I started on what would be expected from me.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The frim invested a lot of time and money into my development. I frequently was involved in interesting meetings with fund managers and investment training events inside the company.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Aon are a massive company are growing very quickly. I would consider future employment highly appealing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We were put into 8 groups of around 7 interns and each assigned a project. This gave us the opportunity to socialise and work with interns from all offices, not just the interns in your office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Can pick up a room for a relatively cheap price.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Leeds is pretty good. Got a great reputation.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Lots of sport, quizes and general office socials every two months.