1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I found my placement enjoyable as it gave me a unique opportunity to see several aspects of the company which i may not have experienced in another placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All the members of each department i entered was welcoming and friendly. There is also a good social atmosphere especially among the other placement students and graduates.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
This varied in each department as some closely managed my progress where as others preferred to give me space and only contributed when i asked for help.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was always work for me to do if i was proactive and went looking and asking for it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
This varied from department to department but generally was was given my own projects to manage and i was responsible for their outcome.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement not only improved on skills i already had, such as my CAD skills, but also gave me an insight into some new skills such as sales and marketing.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Although this varied generally the atmosphere was great. Everyone is friendly and happy to help where possible. this was especially evident among the graduate employees and the other placement students. There is also a subsidized sports and social club.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
During the placement everything ran smoothly however sometimes certain aspects of paperwork had to be chased. Also before the start of the placement i had to chase several time for certain bits of information from a certain member of the staff without reply, however when i was passed onto someone else this issue was resolved.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given 2 weeks of fairly extensive training at the start of the placement. There was also a lot of training during the placement as in all the departments everyone was willing to help me to improve my proficiency in all the software. there was a large focus of development from the start.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
This would depend on the department as i enjoyed some more than others but the atmosphere and the focus on development makes it a very appealing place to work.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Almost all the placement students and graduates i met were very friendly and there is a great amount of social interaction both inside and outside of the workplace. there was however no pressure.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
This very much depends on what area you choose to live most placement and graduates live in the same area (Moseley), although this is not compulsory, which is a very nice area but reasonably priced housing. Trains and buses to the city centre are fairly average priced and there is plenty to do there.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Birmingham is a great city with plenty to do. the bars and clubs are mostly good depending on what area your in but the drinks can be very expensive.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a subsidised social club which offers a range of activities from rock climbing to go-karting. There were also several separate events organised for the new placement students in order to integrate them as well as possible into the company.