Worked in the Leveraged Finance team throughout the placement. Worked on live deals putting together credit reports and LBO models for potential deals. Worked closely with the Syndication team to put together company and deal analysis documents to be used in the debt sell-down process.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Work was generally enjoyable. If you enjoy researching and analysing companies then this is for you. Also had a fantastic team atmosphere both within my team and the larger graduate team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Always helped with things when I needed it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Work comes in fats and starts. Sometimes very busy, sometimes not so much.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Was allowed to work on things that were used in deals and external documents, so felt that work done was not just wasted.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Have now finished University, otherwise skills would have not really helped for an engineering course.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
People are work focused but this doesn't stop people keeping the atmosphere light hearted. You don't feel like there are always people watching over your shoulder to see what you are doing.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Went very smoothly.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Dedicated a week at the start of the internship to excel, accounting and valutaion training. Very helpful and just the right amount for an 8-week internship.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Should hopefully find out a few weeks after the internship ends.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Other graduates and interns very welcoming. Interns especially had a good social life. Organised nights out every week with most people getting involved.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Very expensive to live and go out in London. Luckily the pay is good enough to keep you above water and still save a little too.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Right in the City there are lots of pubs good for drinking after work. Outside of that there are some clubs but they're expensive and very City focused.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Went out quite a lot with people off my team, Although to be honest this was just the pub so not really activities.