Assistance with the design of a specific submarine framework.
The development of whole submarine whipping models.
The development of new modelling technique.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was given interesting work to do; I wasn't given the worst tasks at all. They were challenging which I was the whole point of my doing the placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Although the team in general was quite introverted I always felt welcome. They were always happy to help (and I'm sure I was a bit of a pain at points!)
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Having done a placement with the company a year before in Project Management and not enjoying that at all, management helped find a placement that was more suited to my skills and personality.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had something to do. I never had any deadlines, which didn't put any pressure on me and, despite this I managed to complete more work than had been set at the beginning of the Summer. If I happened to be at a loose end they would find another task for me to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility to write a report on the design of a mount in the submarine, which will be used for reference in the future. The rest of the work that I did was in in collaboration with other people in the department.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Some of the skills that I developed, such as team work and repotrt writing are things that I will be using forever.
However, the others will only be used should I go in to an engineering discipline.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
As I said previously the team were quite introverted, however, when certain people were in there was more banter than when they were not around.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
This year I had a particularly good line manager who ensured that I was getting as much out of the placement as they were.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was constantly learning about different things, having not studied engineering.
By the end of the 11 weeks I had become familiar with 3 new computer programs.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been offered further placements there and they said they would welcome me on the graduate scheme or to go straight in to the department where I did my placement.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Although there was a good social scene among the other placement students I never got involved with that, as I am from the area I had my own friends, and being away at weekends made it difficult to do anything with the grads.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Although I lived with my parents I know that rent is particularly low in Barrow.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are lots of outdoor activities to do in the area as it is very close to the Lakes.