at BAE Systems

Engineering

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.9/10

7.4

Assistance with the design of a specific submarine framework.
The development of whole submarine whipping models.
The development of new modelling technique.

I was given interesting work to do; I wasn't given the worst tasks at all. They were challenging which I was the whole point of my doing the placement.

Although the team in general was quite introverted I always felt welcome. They were always happy to help (and I'm sure I was a bit of a pain at points!)

Having done a placement with the company a year before in Project Management and not enjoying that at all, management helped find a placement that was more suited to my skills and personality.

I always had something to do. I never had any deadlines, which didn't put any pressure on me and, despite this I managed to complete more work than had been set at the beginning of the Summer. If I happened to be at a loose end they would find another task for me to do.

I was given responsibility to write a report on the design of a mount in the submarine, which will be used for reference in the future. The rest of the work that I did was in in collaboration with other people in the department.

Some of the skills that I developed, such as team work and repotrt writing are things that I will be using forever.
However, the others will only be used should I go in to an engineering discipline.

As I said previously the team were quite introverted, however, when certain people were in there was more banter than when they were not around.

This year I had a particularly good line manager who ensured that I was getting as much out of the placement as they were.

I was constantly learning about different things, having not studied engineering.
By the end of the 11 weeks I had become familiar with 3 new computer programs.

I have been offered further placements there and they said they would welcome me on the graduate scheme or to go straight in to the department where I did my placement.

Although there was a good social scene among the other placement students I never got involved with that, as I am from the area I had my own friends, and being away at weekends made it difficult to do anything with the grads.

Although I lived with my parents I know that rent is particularly low in Barrow.

There are lots of outdoor activities to do in the area as it is very close to the Lakes.