1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed it a lot! The role was both fun and challenging at times and helped me to improve my strengths whilst working on my development areas. As there are a lot of students on the Placement Scheme it is very much a social environment with lots of events hosted by the company.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the first day I was made clear of my objectives and responsibilities within the role as well as training as into how the business operates. It was nice knowing that the work you were doing was adding value to the company as oppose to simply doing a task for the sake of it.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
All Placement students are encouraged to be proactive in their own learning and development. Both my manager and my team were constantly on hand for support if needed. At times I would go to other departments in order to find a resolution to a problem, providing me with wider knowledge about their role.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
No day is ever the same! You might have a quiet morning followed by a slightly later finish due to the workload. One of the key skills is managing your time efficiently in order to accommodate for any ad hoc requests. I enjoyed the fast paced environment as it made the day go a lot quicker and put me in situations I had not experienced before, which was exciting.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was grateful enough to have had so much responsibility given to me during my Placement, as I know Interns can often be given the boring, which encourages you to strive to work harder. We are all encouraged to push ourselves in order to come up with new ideas and solutions.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel that my time here has been of more value than my studies alone, so far. Now that I am in my final year I am able to apply what I have learnt in my Placement to current modules I am studying. I have learnt the value of organisation and how to make the most out of your time.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is always a lively atmosphere within the work place, making it easier to integrate within the team and the wider work force. There is a work hard play hard ethos and certain events are run in order to celebrate good results delivered by the different teams.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is always something to do within the Placement Scheme as well as corporate nights out with your specific team. Throughout my time I have enjoyed activities such as bowling and cocktail making. In the Summer there are 3pm finishes every Friday, providing employees with the chance to socialise after work hours.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I live in London anyway so did not have to bear any rental costs but many of my peers lived in the local area and were able to budget accordingly with ease. Those doing work experience in London are able to qualify for a Student Oyster which provides discount off travel, which was extremely helpful for me cost wise.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?