1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My whole L'Oreal experience was amazing! It is a very exciting and dynamic company and you are given responsibility from day one. As an intern you are seen as a real asset to your team and get a chance to develop invaluable skills for your future career.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Interns are extremely valued in L'Oreal and are treated like any other member of the team. You are given a great deal of responsibility in your projects that have a real impact on the brand you are working for. It's a great opportunity to leave you mark on your brand!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager and team were extremely supportive and gave me plenty of guidance when needed throughout the year. Everyone is very willing to help and answer any questions you have. Your performance is reviewed formally 6 months into the internship which gives you a great opportunity to receive feedback about your strengths and development areas.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Throughout my placement year I had at least one project to focus on as well everyday operational tasks, so I was constantly busy. Although my workload and projects were challenging at times, the variety of work and fast paced environment made it very exciting and rewarding.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
From my first day at L'Oreal I was given a great deal of responsibility which grew significantly over the course of the year from the projects I was asked to manage. Although challenging, this allowed me to develop skills and from the great amount of trust I was given by the team, I quickly gained confidence to make decisions and manage the work autonomously which was extremely rewarding.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
You absolutely develop skills for life completing an internship with L'Oreal, which will be invaluable for your future career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Everyone is really friendly in the office. Although there are times when workload is high, it is very fun and doesn't feel too corporate.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
My internship was well organised. All interns were given an induction and training for basic skills needed for the placement at the start of the year, as well as a week long handover with the previous intern to get to grips with your role. I was also given provided with more specific training by my team. The HR team were also very supportive with regular catch ups if needed throughout the year to discuss any problems you have.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
HR provided an initial induction and basic skills training session, and you could participate in optional online training courses in specific areas. However, more formal training courses were only given to grads and operational staff.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing - I would love to return to L'Oreal in the future
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is a really good social scene with interns and within teams. My team were very social and had lots of fun events both inside and outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
In London so fairly expensive, however Hammersmith is relatively cheap when you compare in to Central London!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There a lots of bars and pubs close to the office. Central London has lots of clubs to choose from that are a quick tube ride away.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are lots of sports teams set up by L'Oreal who train on a weekly basis and there is an intern Sports Sec who can organises intern sports teams. There are also intern socials throughout the year.