I spent eight weeks in one of the Audit Departments at BDO in London. My work included acting as a junior on site preparing different parts of the audit report and working in theo ffice, completing work for whoever needed it!
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had a really good expirience and was able to take on a variety of work, from the slightly mundane (ticking boxes!) to more advanced work as well.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
There was always lots of work to do, no chance of getting bored! This meant I felt valued because I was doing *actual* work that they needed rather than just jobs to keep me busy.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a councilling manager as well as a graduate 'buddy' and was also able to speak to the senior members of my audit teams while on site.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Very busy! There was plenty of work to be done, as the Audit department was quite hierarchical so there was plenty pitched at an undergrad/graduate level for me.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
At the beginning there was not a lot of responsibility, but once I found my feet I was given the chance to complete more complex work (with lots of people around to ask if I was stuck of course!)
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Definitely will help me with a career in Audit, as the work was very similar to that of a first year graduate.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very friendly and open, felt it was really easy to ask questions if I was stuck. Lots of cake!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was pretty well organised with training in the first week and later as well, however there were a few teething problems with some information not getting through to us but that was sorted out.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
One week's training at the beginning of the internship, followed by three days in the middle and a further 2 at the end.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I'd be very happy working for them as a graduate!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, interns from all over the country came down for the training sessions.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Expensive - but I lived with my parents so not so bad!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Very good - central/west london on the doorstep of Oxford Street!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes - attended Football Trip to Nottingham with the whole company to compete in an inter-office tournament. Also drinks on the final day.