1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have really enjoyed the year I spent with the Consulting Department at Gist. Throughout the year I was able to work on a broad variety of projects which has given me an extensive insight into the logistics environment.
The Consulting Team has been very supportive which has enabled me to gain a wide variety of experiences and skills which I can now apply in my final year at university.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
From the start of the placement you are made to feel like a valued member of the consulting team and not just a placement student which is reflected in the responsibility you are given.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
As part of the industrial placement you are allocated a mentor, line manager and buddy (who is on the graduate scheme). Having this network of support in place meant that I felt very supported throughout the year. In addition to this the senior management provided an open door policy allowing me to get support and guidance when required.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My work schedule was always planned out in advance, so I was always busy.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As the year progressed I was given the opportunity to take on higher levels of responsibility. One of the highlights of my placement year was project managing several projects which was exciting and challenging.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Working in the consulting department I have been able to gain valuable skills in data analysis including broadening my excel skills. These skills I will be able to apply in my final year at university but are also very helpful in any career.
During the year I have been able to significantly increase my confidence by carrying out presentations to management and interested parties.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The Consulting Team is based in the Head Office, this is a corporate setting with open plan work spaces.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement scheme has a dedicated HR team resulting in the placement year being very organised.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Gist gave full support throughout the year organising training days and providing opportunities for self development in my job role.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?