1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Provided me with good experience, enabled me to feel comptent in myself whilst working alone/ with a manager. Really really nice environment to work in with lots of employee perks and support. Every bit of work undertaken was work that was needed to be done , the work contributed to larger projects positive feedback was frequently given. This made my effort seem valued in the corporate structure.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Every bit of work undertaken was work that was needed to be done , the work contributed to larger projects positive feedback was frequently given. This made my effort seem valued in the corporate structure. The workload was sufficient to always keep me going and i could always see my manager to get more work given to me. People often made and took interest in my work which made me feel valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Every week i had frequent structured meetings on a Tuesday allowing us to discuss the work i was doing and in addition any personal issues should i have them. Additionally my supervisor was accessible most the day allowing me to get guidance should i need it. Guidance given was usefull and allowed me to have direction into what i was doing so i could do it better.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Everyday i was kept working 9-5 the day went really fast as most times i was under my own time management so could seamlessly blend tasks. The workload was sufficient to always keep me going and i could always see my manager to get more work given to me. The work given to me was sufficient for me to feel occupied during the duration in addition was very rewarding to me to complete it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
After being give training and instruction i was pretty much left to my own devices with valuable equipment to use as i please. From the on it has been my responsibility to look after that equipment and manage my time appropriately. Given the equipment meant i could feel very needed as i was mostly independent for the duration.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The placement was not directly relevant but the skills learnt were applicable in the general scale of things , additionally some practical elements did complement my course and build on my prior learning of chemistry to this point. Being trained on a variety of instruments may provide useful for the future as most the implements used i had not used in university at all.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very friendly in the office everyone was nice to talk to and had individual input making the conversations valuable whether about work hobbies and/ or career opportunities in the executive company. An office was provided specifically for the interns allowing a more accessible friendly environment such that it wasnt a large step from university.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Work was constantly give i was also provided a scheduled training exercise which was undertaken with supervision from the previous interns this allowed me to get a good grasp of the work i would later be involved in. A smaller project was given as the initial work to help me get to grips wit the placement fully but whilst achieving usable data/ work for the company.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was trained to use many different types of equipment my university had not previously taught me on allowing me a broader grasp of instrumentation. Events were often subsidized by the company to allow a greater experience of curricular and extra non-curricular activities. Being give constant individual tasks helped me grow as an experienced individual and as a result of this i'm now more confident.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are a large variety of placements avalible , research ones require a phd however , but if you dont want to go into research field technician which provides an acessible route into the companies structure from which promotions can lead to much higher placements or even going into research after being a technician which makes the company seem very good for future opportunities.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
not much variety
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?