1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had a great time working with schlumberger during my placement year. Few things which I enjoyed the most is learing new things, being a part of amazing team, friendly work environment and work culture, intern's day, great support from management and ofcourse free coffee.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The one thing I experienced during my placement year was I was never treated like a intern by my colleagues. My colleagues valued my opinions like any other employee and supported me in every aspect of work. They used to appreciate my work and also helped me develop new skills which might help me in future.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor was always there to help me with my work as well as with any protocols I needed to follow as a member of the organiztion. It was with his support that I was able to successfully learn and develop new technical skills. My supervisors trust in me encouraged me work harder and be enthusiatic about my work.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
On daily basis I got enough time to work on the objectives assigned to me as well as learning new things to enhance my skills. Compared to the responsibilties I was assigned it was perfect balance of work and not hectic at all.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was allowed to get used to the work environment during the start of the placement with small objectives on daily basis but looking at my quick learning ability I was soon entrusted with more responsibility compared to an intern which I enjoyed and handled successfully.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think the skills I learned and developed during my placment year will be engraved within me for life, be it technical or professional. As far as my technical skills are concerned, I learned a lot more than I expected in a year which will definitely help me with and studies and my future endeavors.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Work placement was well organised for me and the most important aspect was that I was working on a real time project. I was fortunate enough to have opportunity to work on two project during my placement. It was real professional experience where I was involved in every aspect of the project starting from scratch till commercialisation giving me an insight into how things work in real world.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
As I had experience working on technology which I was supposed to use, I was able to start working on project qucikly without much training but still I was giving my time and material to train and get accustomed with new technology. I was provided with all the resources I needed for me to start working without any limitation.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Schlumberger always keeps track of student who did their internship/ placement with the organisation and gives them preferences over other applicants if any opportunity comes up within the organisation.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living in the area I worked in was fairly affordable and I was also provided temporary accomodation till I found myself a good place to stay. Apart from that the area I worked in had all the social amenities like gym, shopping mall, cine world etc.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I am a basketball fan and was able to find myself a club where I could play. I was even the part of the team and competed in the surrey basketball league representing the club.