1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
yes, it was fantastic, i honestly dont think there was anything about the internship i could fault, other than it being pretty specialised but for what i have done recently at uni it fitted in perfectly.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
other employees were a great help and never made me feel inferior when explaining even the most basic things. they seemed like a good laugh and since the placement was on the isle of wight everyone was more than willing to suggest things to do at weekends too
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
they came over every so often probable 2 or 3 times a day to check we were fine and knew what we were doing. even the line manager from portsmouth was always available to contact if any problems or questions arose.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
yes mainly, the placement included many different programmes and some took hours to complete so every so often it was a quiet day but that wasnt a problem.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
given responsibility over time and how to carry out the work but a lot of things needed more explanation but for me this was better than just being left on my own.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
well unfortunately there are no courses for me to take related to this after christmas but the project i am doing till then is fairly similar so the MATLAB skills will be very useful for me and i hope to continue an image processing type career after uni so this was a fantastic start for this.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
the general atmosphere was pretty good, a bit of a laugh some days but quiet others. there was no one disruptive or grumpy to bring down the mood so over all for me it was a good atmosphere.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
it was set up quite well but it was slow to start as security clearance to hard drives and training links took a few weeks to set up bu there was really plenty reading to do in this time anyway. apart from that it was organised well.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
some training was done on their online systems for data protection and things like that, a theory test type thing was done for the use of a hire car for a conference trip. personal objectives were set so as me and my line manager knew what was expected and in what time scales, if anything was too difficult or needed more time they would have been understanding about it.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
very, its my main goal at the moment to get a place in their graduate scheme
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
only a few new starts in the isle of wight so it wasnt a club type place but that suited me well, me and another intern regularly visited zoos and other tourist attractions on the island at weekends which was perfect for me.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
well rent was more than my flat at home so for the 3 months i was paying £300 for my flat at home and £480 for a single room, ensuite and a shared kitchen there. so for me this was very expensive. the socialising wasnt too bad though drinks were a regular price as well as meals out and the tourist attractions.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
pubs were ok but no clubs for me this was not a problem as these types of things arent really for me anyway
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
well sailing was a big one but didnt interest me, i was happy working them relaxing rather than doing something else.