1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had the most amazing time during my placement year, Roche was a fantastic company to be a part of.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was treated not as an intern but as a colleague and a truly valued member of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
We had constant oversight by our managers without any micromanaging. It was comforting to know that we were able to work independently but with support available if needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
It was up to me to decide how I managed my time. If I felt that I had too much/little work I could easily flag it up with my manager and adjust the workload accordingly.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Various tasks involved differing degrees of responsibility which allowed me to lead some projects.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed many skills which have proved very useful in completing my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere of the office managed to balance a fun, positive environment with one that encourages productivity and discussion of ideas.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was a very good system in place which ensured we were trained and supervised properly.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The training was excellent, there were numerous forms of training sessions via a range of platforms (online, group, practical training). We also had the option of multiple other training course if we felt there was an area which we would need extra help.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Due to a reorganisation and outsourcing of some roles within the department there were no graduate positions available in the department. However we were encouraging to contact other departments in which there were graduate roles.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were many events throughout the year with colleagues and fellow students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living is fairly expensive and there is little to do in the immediate area. However London is only a 20 minute train away.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Near to London there are hundreds of options for a night out, the only draw-back is the last train back to Welwyn Garden City is around 1/2am and the next train is around 5am.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a number of sports clubs and leisure centres nearby. Also at Roche there are a few sports clubs that you could be involved with.