I worked within a Financial Reporting Team and had daily duties of preparing the Client Money reconciliation and sending instructions to Treasury to ensure the money movements were made. I also was in charge of cash-books and had to do daily journal entries for these. I was also in charge of banking any cheques the company received. I also helped out on many regulatory returns that needed to be filled in.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
It was an amazing experience and I leart a lot that will help throughout my final year at University. It was well structured and and a fun place to work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Treated me like a normal employee and were always willing to help. Everyone was very fun and taught me a lot.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Whenever help was needed they were able to take time out to help. They understood I had University commitments to write an essay and were always willing to give me time and help me get the contents needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There were busy times and quiet times. I realised I didn't have enough work and asked for more and my team recognised this and so gave me more responsibilities. At quarter end sometimes had to stay late but in general worked the hours set.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had my responsibilities that I had to look after. No was there checking on me every minute. I felt like a valued member.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
General working in an office skills as-well as an insight into how accounting works in the world.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
They lived by the moto "work hard play hard"
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The HR team were very good at making everything run smoothly at the beginning. The finance team knew there were several interns and always had time to give extra help.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Went on a few training courses. But mostly learn whilst you work.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would love to get onto the Graduate Scheme within this process but I have to re-apply and go through the whole assessment centre and everything. Bit annoying!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The interns socialised and got on very well. There was also work drinks going on every week!
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Working in central London everything was expensive. Wasn't living in central London but was on Zone3 but still was fairly expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
A few good pubs and bars. Close to central as well.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
A football club for the boys. A sports day was arranged once. Not much else.