Summer Placement at BAE Systems

Rochester South East
Aeronautical Engineering Computer Science

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.4/10

I have had a very positive experience in my internship for this organization. I was given a very interesting project and forced into learning a great deal of new software and new information related to the company’s products. I also really enjoyed the company of all the people I met and the colleagues I was introduced too.

Whenever I had a gap in my project or any spare time I made sure I was proactive in offering my services for any odd jobs or tasks as a fill-in for other members of the office. Through this I was able to build positive relationships with people in different areas of the business and made feel like a valuable asset of the team.

My line manager gave me a thorough initial explanation of my project and gave me a lot of materials from which I could work. Although his familiarity with some of the software wasn't very strong, he introduced me to all the right people so that I had a steady support system for when I got stuck.

I always had work to keep me busy on a daily basis and was rarely stuck for something to do. I enjoyed keeping busy and feeling useful in the workplace, the more work I had to do meant the more new information and experience I gained. Having a steady workload therefore benefited me in learning a great deal.

My project in itself was quite independent so I wasn't a member of a team as far as my main workload was involved. Therefore there was a larger level of responsibility on me to get my product finished and produced to the standard that was expected of me. I enjoyed having more responsibility as it increased the importance.

I was given a very interesting project and forced into learning a great deal of new software and new information related to the company’s products. I feel it has benefited me academically as I have picked up technical skills I can apply as I continue my studies. It also gave me insight into the professional working world and the etiquette of an office environment.

The general atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly. The office was very harmonious and I think that created a very effective workspace. The working relations were all very welcoming and I found I met a great deal of the office in a short space of time. It was definitely a positive atmosphere.

The work placement felt very well organised. Each intern had a product manager and a line manager and received a buddy prior to their arrival to the company. Our product manager's set us up a list of objectives to give us a good structure to follow. We also had regular reviews and check-ins to ensure everything was going okay.

I would definitely remain interested in future employment within BAE Systems. I've had a positive experience in my internship for this organisation and would enjoy returning to work here again.

There were a number of different sporting activities during the week, Including Football, Basketball, Exercise Classes and Badminton. There was also a good social set up among colleagues and they were very welcoming of interns to join in with any organised social activities. It was a nice way to meet more people within the company in a more relaxed environment.