Project Management Summer Intern at BAE Systems

Farnborough South East
Business Management Financial Management Information Technology

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.6/10

I worked in the Business Management Team in Head Office, Farnborough. I was involved in a large number and variety of projects, both leading and supporting them.

I really enjoyed it. The 12 weeks just flew by! I was involved in a large number and variation of projects, both leading and supporting, which taught me a great deal about BAE Systems as a company. Everyone was always really happy to help, I never heard 'no' as an answer.

Whenever I completed a Project or a significant piece of work I was always given the recognition for it. All of my colleagues had some idea of what I was getting involved in, and the extent to which I was contributing, which was mentioned regularly.

I spoke regularly with my manager. We had a mid placement review to discuss my progress and areas for improvement. We also had an end of placement review where we discussed my contribution to the company and the projects I had been getting involved with. He regularly asked for updates of what I was involved in, and if I ever asked for it, he gave me guidance.

On an average day I had plenty to do, as with any position there were peaks and troughs, I had days I was working constantly on several different projects at once, and others where it was a more relaxed atmosphere. All in all I felt like I had enough to do.

I was given the lead on several significant projects, including some which had results which would be rolled out to the entire company or senior business leaders. I always felt like the work I was doing was important.

Some of the Projects that I worked on directly involved using analytical skills which I have developed through my degree, the projects also gave me an insight into what it would be like to use my maths in a 'real world' situation, which helps to provide motivation in my remaining studies. The Internship as a whole also gave me an insight into a large number of different career paths, which has helped guide what I want to do in the future.

Accommodating, everyone was really welcoming. I settled in immediately.

The application process was brilliant, I was regularly sent updates regarding my application and on what the next stages were. Throughout the Internship itself I always felt informed and that I knew who to go to if needed.

The company provided me with a wide range of roles which helped me to develop competencies required for a business environment.

By completing the Internship, it has given me an opening into the GDF Scheme, FLDP and SIGMA. The company has a wide range of different career development opportunities at every level.

Regularly went for coffees/lunch with colleagues. There were no other placement students in my location.

Not applicable- I commuted in from home and didn't go out into the town.

Not applicable- I commuted in from home and didn't go out into the town.