Applications aren't open for this job yet. BUT, you can register your interest in applying - let the employer know you're intrigued!
We'll send word as soon as applications open.
So, if you see this icon on a job listing, it means you can register your interest.
This opportunity is open to students entering their second year of university in September 2019.
Bespoke Development Placement
Working as a Developer at Zing, the Software Consultancy division of ProspectSoft, will provide the benefits and security of being part of an established and well-respected Development Placement Scheme, with the added excitement of working at a start-up. Zing is a start-up business operating with the back-up of an already successful business, so you'll get all the great training and support that you should demand from any placement, but with a start-up feel.
Zing is focused on delivering projects using the amazing technology stack from Twilio. If you haven't heard of them…you will soon. Twilio are fundamentally disrupting the communications industry, providing APIs for managing any type of communication; Voice, Video, SMS and since acquiring SendGrid, now also email. Any time you speak to an Uber driver, talk to an M&S Call Centre or receive a message from Netflix, that's all powered by Twilio. Zing is only the second accredited Twilio partner in the UK and have already undertaken projects for organisations in many different industries. Our focus is now on building our team so that we can deliver, high-profile, agile-development projects. A placement at ProspectSoft in the Zing team will be lots of fun and you'll learn a set of skills in a technology stack that is going to be in high-demand for years to come.
Successful applicants can expect to gain a great deal of experience working through the full development cycle from systems analysis, through writing the code to testing and delivery. You will be working within a team of amazing developers and working directly with the founder of the business unit. You'll be playing a key role in delivering a wide range of exciting projects. On commencing your placement, you will receive nearly six weeks of training in all aspects of our development methodologies and most importantly, learning the Twilio stack. During your placement, you will also have access to a full MSDN subscription with a monthly personal allowance of Microsoft Azure credit to play around with for your own pet projects.
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Software Development – Using Vue.js and TypeScript to create components which will be used in our Core Applications. You will also be creating Azure services and coding backend APIs in C#.
- Configuring of Continuous Integration – Taking a set of code you have created and configuring VSTS (Visual Services Team Services) to automatically build and run unit tests upon committing your work.
- Agile Development – Being an active part of one of the Scrum teams within the Development department. This will involve refinement meetings where, along with the rest of your team members, you will discuss outline estimates for both core and customer development.
- QA Testing – Completing both unit testing and user testing for projects worked on by other team members of development. This involves locating potential issues and working with the team to plan and implement a resolution.
- Hacks – We love building solutions, fast. The team often participate in development hacks, aimed at solving problems or delivering value within tight time frames.
What you’ll need:
- A strong passion for software development
- A desire to learn new technologies, improve existing skills & understand the business impact on the software development lifecycle
- Have knowledge of the following technologies for backend/API development: .Net Framework Libraries, C# or VB.Net, SQL using databases such as SQL Server, SAP SQL Anywhere, Oracle or MySQL
- Any experience with the following technologies would be great but not required: TypeScript, Visual Studio/Visual Studio Code, HTTPS protocols and IIS
- Degree in a relevant field
- SMEs for the Win! – Providing you with an instant sense of belonging, working for ProspectSoft offers you a working environment like no other. Being able to build relationships and work closely with senior managers and Directors provides you with all the opportunities and skills that you need to fly high in the real world.
- Career Path – A placement with us will give you an excellent foundation knowledge and insight into the sector you’re working in and awareness of the working world. This will enable you to excel in your professional development, as well as enhance your employability skills.
- Personal Development – Managers and Directors at ProspectSoft want to ensure that you gain the most out of your placement. Throughout your year, you’ll be working alongside industry experts who’ll guide and support you along your placement journey. Plus, they’ll encourage you to work on other side projects to boost your CV, like passing online certifications!
- Real Responsibility – You don’t have to worry about being the placement that gets stuck doing the coffee run! Right from the get-go, you’re thrown into the deep end and given real responsibility, being treated and respected just like all the other permanent employees are. You’re given tasks that influence the business’ reputation, success and growth, and your skills are hugely valued and appreciated.
- Enhanced Employment Prospects – Undertaking a placement year means you’ll be given real responsibilities and opportunities that will be both challenging and exciting. From this exposure, you’ll develop transferable skills that you just wouldn’t acquire at University, so it’ll stand you in good stead upon graduation!
- Unique Office Atmosphere – The friendly, young and energetic atmosphere here at ProspectSoft is something we feel makes us unique! We’re a supportive company that treasures every single employee. We’re a sociable bunch too that know how to have a great time both in the office, and outside the walls of work! Our Social Committee ensures there’s plenty of events going on throughout the year to provide all sorts of perks for our lovely employees.
- Pizza Fridays – Who doesn’t love Pizza? The last Friday of every month combines food and learning! Bringing the whole company together, we learn about the exciting features our Development team have been working on recently in the software, and simultaneously get to indulge in endless amounts of Domino’s pizza!
- Beer Friday – Every Friday, ProspectSoft finish work half an hour early, crack open the beer fridge and socialise! Employees can kick start their Fridays and choose a refreshing alcoholic or soft beverage they fancy, to sit back, relax and enjoy! We also love a good quiz!
- Departmental Socials – Each department often heads out for different socials after work. Whether it’s a curry night or getting involved in a sport such as trampolining or rock-climbing, every department loves to bring their teams together for a good laugh and sociable catch up! But socials don’t have to be set to individual departments; we like to mix! If the Dev team head out trampolining and the Marketing team fancy joining, then they’re always welcome – the more the merrier!
- Summer Events – ProspectSoft love to host a sunny BBQ, attend the Henley Royal Regatta, or organise afterwork drinks in the sunshine. Whatever they choose to do, ProspectSoft love a summer get together!
- Christmas Party – Every year, ProspectSoft host a Christmas party! The whole company gathers together for a night of celebrations…it’s a bash not to be missed!
- Placement Do’s – To welcome placements to ProspectSoft, the office head down to the local pub for a few drinks after their first day. It’s a great way for everyone to mingle and get to know each other! When the time comes to say goodbye, the company heads into Oxford for a leaving do, which involves plenty of food, drinks and dancing - it’s a great (and very emotional) send off!