“3M clearly invests and values it placement and graduate schemes. Not only do the divisions train their students up to permanent employee level with according responsibility but they also include about 10-15 insight training days to help enrich their students…” - Read full review
A quarter of the world's population use our products in some way, shape or form. That's 1.7 billion people! In fact, on average, one of us will come into contact with a 3M product or technology 100 times a day, that's a little bit of us every fifteen minutes.
There's so much we could say when we are asked about our company - but let's keep things simple. We are a science-based technology company that is committed to improving lives and doing business in the right way - which is why we have been listed as a World's Most Ethical Company for three years in succession. And we love applying our science to creating products that, in big ways and small, make things better in some way. Helping people to be safe. Making them more productive. Protecting their health. Safeguarding the environment. And we have an insatiable appetite for meeting the world's ever-changing challenges.
Engineering (Manufacturing Technology) Industrial Placement
We are currently recruiting for Industrial Placement Students to join our Engineering teams based across the UK, Ready to part of what’s next?
Location – We have opportunities across our state of the art manufacturing facilities in Atherstone, Aycliffe, Loughborough, Bangor, Gorseinon and Bridgend.
Industrial Placement Programme – Successful candidates will have a fantastic opportunity to be assigned to an area of a manufacturing site, to work alongside and learn from experienced engineers, whilst attending training including Six Sigma and Lean training with our graduate engineers and taking part in our Emerging Talent Training programme.
As an Industrial Placement student you will be part of and learn from the Manufacturing Technology Engineering group, the primary purpose of whom is to ensure the manufacturing plant and business deliver against their annual strategic target in the fields of cost, cash, growth, service, quality and safety.
Our widely spread and innovative product technology base provides interesting and varied manufacturing challenges that stimulate our world-renowned culture of innovation and creativity.
3M has achieved regional & global recognition for its achievements in manufacturing efficiency, service & environmental awareness as well as its ability to develop & scale-up new products utilising new technologies.
As an Industrial Placement Student you will be working as part of a highly focused and driven team of engineers. The projects in new ‘growth’ areas will be on new product introduction, line optimisation and product qualification, whereas in the more established areas, the manufacturing engineering team will be focused more on waste reduction, process/productivity improvement and material substitutions.
You’ll become knowledgeable about our developing technologies, the quality systems that surround our manufacturing processes and learn to work with people at all levels of the organisation - from the machine operators to the senior managers.
Example projects that you would typically be involved in:
- Downtime Reduction – Changing between different product types is a lengthy process due to adjusting programme settings and knife set-ups. The project is to quantify DT and target the biggest opportunities to improve.
- Raw Material Qualification –. To ensure that the product is compliant with production, performance and quality metrics, organise testing, make order runs and quality inspection before the change is approved.
- New Product Qualification - Manufacturing engineers will work with production and the development lab, to manufacture a product suitable for the customer’s specification.
- Quality Improvement – Projects involve working alongside the quality engineering team to understand historical trends and production data to further develop specifications.
- Process optimisation – The project focus is identifying optimum settings and set-up visual management to monitor cycle times.
- Lean Projects - Reduce pallet space in production areas by lean supply of raw materials to production equipment.
Further Information for all above roles
Key Benefits Include:
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus Bank Holidays.
- Contributory Stakeholder Pension Scheme
- Discount on 3M products
- Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Predicted a minimum 2:1 degree in a Business-related degree
- 300 UCAS points at A-Level (or equivalent qualification)
- Valid UK driving licence preferred, but not essential
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.
More Jobs From 3M
Deadline 31st Jan 2018
Deadline 31st Jan 2018
Deadline 31st Jan 2018