“3M clearly invests and values it placement and graduate schemes. Not only do the divisions train their students up to permanent employee level with according responsibility but they also include about 10-15 insight training days to help enrich their students…” - Read full review
A quarter of the world's population use our products in some way, shape or form. That's 1.7 billion people! In fact, on average, one of us will come into contact with a 3M product or technology 100 times a day, that's a little bit of us every fifteen minutes.
For more than 110 years, 3M products have improved daily life for people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, buildings safer and consumer electronics lighter and less energy – intensive. We even made our mark on the first moon landing!
We are currently recruiting for Industrial Placement Students to join our Engineering teams based across the UK & Ireland. Ready to part of what’s next?
Engineering Industrial Placement
As an Industrial Placement student you will be part of and learn from the Manufacturing Technology Engineering group, the primary purpose of whom is to ensure the manufacturing plant and business deliver against their annual strategic target in the fields of cost, cash, growth, service, quality and safety.
Our widely spread and innovative product technology base provides interesting and varied manufacturing challenges that stimulate our world-renowned culture of innovation and creativity.
3M has achieved regional & global recognition for its achievements in manufacturing efficiency, service & environmental awareness as well as its ability to develop & scale-up new products utilising new technologies.
- Right to live and work in the UK
- Working towards a 2:1 in a relevant degree (Engineering or Science based)
- 300 UCAS points at A-Level (or equivalent qualification) including at least one STEM subject.
- Valid UK driving licence is preferred but not essential.
Knowledge and Skills
- Good engineering/technical knowledge
- Competent PC user
- Good problem solver
- Pro-active self-starter
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated with the drive & energy to lead and influence change
- Good team player able to work well with & influence others
- Ability to prioritise effectively
- Strong Communication skills
As an Industrial Placement Student you will be working as part of a highly focused and driven team of engineers. The projects in new ‘growth’ areas will be on new product introduction, line optimisation and product qualification, whereas in the more established areas, the manufacturing engineering team will be focused more on waste reduction, process/productivity improvement and material substitutions.
You’ll become knowledgeable about our developing technologies, the quality systems that surround our manufacturing processes and learn to work with people at all levels of the organisation - from the machine operators to the senior managers.
Example projects that you would typically be involved in:
- Downtime Reduction – Changing between different product types is a lengthy process due to adjusting programme settings and knife set-ups. The project is to quantify DT and target the biggest opportunities to improve.
- Raw Material Qualification –. To ensure that the product is compliant with production, performance and quality metrics, organise testing, make order runs and quality inspection before the change is approved.
- New Product Qualification - Manufacturing engineers will work with production and the development lab, to manufacture a product suitable for the customer’s specification.
- Quality Improvement – Projects involve working alongside the quality engineering team to understand historical trends and production data to further develop specifications.
- Process optimisation – The project focus is identifying optimum settings and set-up visual management to monitor cycle times.
- Lean Projects - Reduce pallet space in production areas by lean supply of raw materials to production equipment.
Key Benefits Include:
- 25 days paid annual holiday, plus Bank Holidays.
- Contributory Stakeholder Pension Scheme
- Discount on 3M products
- Reduced subscriptions on various insurance schemes
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Financial support for further education
How to apply
To apply for this role and to find out more, please click on the apply button below.