Working for the Ministry of Defence, the Home Office and Other Government Departments, we support ground breaking technical research and provide unique services to respond rapidly to operational demands and ensure that the UK retains an operational advantage.
We are responsible for ensuring the government has up-to-date skills and capabilities to understand and defeat terrorist threats. We provide the UK expertise in a spectrum of engineering and scientific fields and you’ll be working at the forefront of defence and security research and innovation, a dynamic and rapidly evolving environment.
Our roles give you the opportunities to:
- Work within a complementary team of specialists to deliver scientific, analytical and engineering solutions
- Collaborate, nationally and internationally, on field trials and in laboratory testing, to support the delivery of scientific evidence
- Develop broad networks across the world with external partners, academic institutes and government departments
- Drive your career, with great opportunities to gain new skills and qualifications, work with field-leading experts and ensure your working life is never boring.
- Work with customers and the military to understand their requirements & develop solutions.
- Lead small work packages, being responsible for your own research and analysis.
- Provide technical advice and direction to industrial and academic partners and suppliers.
- Prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of defence and security challenges and issues.
Training and Development
We will support your early career development through a mixture of on-the-job, course-based training and possible placements which include;
- Talks and discussion groups led by some of our technical experts.
- Personal skills development.
- Networking with other students and graduates, both in our division and across Dstl, including access to our new starter support network.
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Flexible working
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
- Chartership and accreditation support
- Generous annual leave
- A competitive salary
- Excellent learning and development
- Onsite gyms and restaurants
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality