Benefits Practice Summer Intern

• Internship (1-4 Months)
Location
  • Overall Rating

• The Role Overall

• The Organisation Overall

• Social Overall

I carried out similar work that a new graduate would do. The work varied from day to day. I completed data checks and data entry. I also did a number of calculations and used Excel frequently. We had a non-technical intern project and a individual presentation. There were a number of training sessions.

I really enjoyed my internship. We had a number of training sessions which taught me a lot and set me up well to complete the tasks I would be given to do. The team I worked for were friendly and happy to help whenever I had a question. They also gave me interesting tasks to do. This gave me a fantastic feel for the actuarial profession. There were 8 interns at my office and it was great to meet some new people, a number of socials took place while I was there. It was great to get to know your colleagues outside the office.

I felt valued by my colleagues. They really took time to explain the tasks I have been set and explain why that particular task needed to be done. Even if the task was small, I was always given the bigger picture about why it needed to be done. My colleague made sure that the task I was given were varied and interesting.

Whenever I needed guidance, my colleague were always happy to help. I felt supported while working there. My line manager and the recent graduates were very helpful.

This varied from a day-to-day basis. Sometimes there would be little work to do, however there were booklets I could read that would keep me busy. Other days, I would been given too much work to do. Workload at a consultancy will always be varied.

I was responsible for small tasks. With actuarial work, it is very technical and client specific, so it is very limited on the responsibility that I could be given. I was satisfied with the tasks I was set.

The work I was doing was quite different to my degree. I did develop my time-management skills and my communication skills, which will help me in future.

The office is open plan and everyone is really friendly. There was always a fun atmosphere in the office. There are cookies and cakes in the tea room everyday and ice creams on Friday. We would do tea-rounds all the time and great to know the people who sat around you. Everyone knew each other well, the atmosphere was light-hearted.

I felt that the internship was organised well. Especially the training sessions.

We had a number of training sessions. I felt that the company really cared about their employees development.

The social scene was really good. We went to the Pub every Friday. There were a number of socials as well, such a Pub Quiz, Mini Golf, Beach Volleyball and a Rounder Tournement to name a few!

Reigate is a small town. There are a number of pubs and restaurants. It is also about a 40 minute train journey to London. I lived at home for my internship, so living costs were cheap. Towers Watson reimbursement travel and accommodation costs.

We normally went to the Pub after work.

There were a number of socials that took place and it was fantastic to get involved with those. The interns also organised one as well!