• Placement Year (10 Months+)
Location

• The Role Overall

• The Organisation Overall

• Social Overall

4.5

Very interesting and not too stressful.

Very valued. Have been asked to stay on and help out with extra funding.

Supervisor and other colleagues very supportive and ensured that I had things to do and understood all the research carried out. Everyone made sure they had time for me.

Some days less busy, but from the start I was told if I didn't have anything to do it was fine to leave early. As mostly running experiments sometimes this would leave time for reading and planning placement report, dissertation etc.

Gradually more. Allowed to carry out own research very quickly and given final year UG students to supervise in research I had already carried out as well as planning the experiments themselves.

Will help massively with final year, particularly neuroscience module. I find it much easier to learn through applied science like this than just through lectures. Also planning to apply for a PhD where the skills I have learned will be a huge advantage, as well as if I work in a similar lab in the future.

In a group of postgraduates who I don't know well but happy to get on with my own work and most of my time spent in the lab where everyone was friendly and welcoming so not a problem.

Not very organised as never had a placement student in this area before but was settled very quickly and I was happy with the more relaxed atmosphere.

Supervisor very encouraging and motivating. I now feel capable and determined to complete a PhD in the future with the advantage of the skills I have been taught here.

Have been told I will be written a reference for a neuroscience PhD programme at the university if I apply when I graduate.

I was the only placement student although spent a lot of time working with PhD students of roughly my own age, as well as making good friends with my housemates in Cardiff.

Unpaid placement makes it difficult although costs and rent in Cardiff are a lot cheaper than Guildford where my own University is.

I think Cardiff is a great city with a lot going on and well worth a night out.

Not too much going on as not part of the postgraduate group although often invited to join people at the pub etc.