Internship Details

• Job Title: Summer Analyst in Private Wealth
  • Start Date: 2011
  • Length: Internship (1-4 Months)
  • Location: London ,
    Central London and City
  • Salary: £30,000+
  • Roles: Banking - Investment, Banking/Finance, Business Analytics, Business Management, Property/Real Estate,
  • Reviewer’s Course: Geography BA (Hons)
  • Reviewer’s University: University of Oxford
  • Review Date:

Barclays - Wealth and Investment Management

Job Title: Summer Analyst in Private Wealth

Overall Rated 2.9

10 1

View breakdown

Supporting Banker manage his client relationships. Mainly admin.

Rated 4/10

The work was not stimulating, very administrative, at Banker level it seems great but not a stimulating place to start. Training was high level, not enough tangible new skills picked up. Experience was very much down to your team so if you had a bad manager, then had a terrible time.

★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

Rated 5/10

Not at all. Little to no interaction in my team, most communication by email even if you were in the same rule. Unclear instructions and feedback (e.g. my manager asked to do more work for other bankers, and I had already approached other bankers but they had been told by him not to give me any work).

Rated 1/10

In 10 weeks I had 4 meetings, despite insisting on a daily basis, emailing status reports, putting time in the calendar. All meetings would be cancelled. Feedback was often requested but not given. We were supposed to write our own objectives for what we wanted out of the internship, but mine were written for me by my manager as a list of things he hadn't got round to, like tidying his client portfolios and compliance. He was also rude. Although HR offered help they were ineffective in meetings, agreeing completely with line managers even contradicting original statements they had made to the intern class. I also had personal difficulties, and was told there was support for these but it was never given to me. Instead it was embarrassing and I didn't feel it had been kept confidential.

Rated 4/10

I had plenty of work to do, but largely it was extremely boring and something that I would expect to be doing were I a PA or in compliance. A lot of the work was also to do with the terrible systems not being aligned, so manually copying information from one system to another.

Rated 1/10

Although I insisted on ownership of one project, I was given the work of making my manager compliant, checking through everything he had failed to do with his clients.

★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Rated 2/10

Most of the skills I used here I already had. New skills were mainly individual to the firm and non transferable so a complete waste of time as I would never want to work there.

Rated 1/10

The complete opposite of a comfortable, enjoyable and supportive team environment. Little to no interaction, everyone kept to themselves and there was some back stabbing in terms of stealing clients.

Rated 4/10

While the HR side was very well organised (training, talks), there was almost no communication between HR and line managers. Also as my offices were not in the main site (I was in the high net worth group), I had to spend a lot of time travelling between Mayfair and Canary Wharf, and although these meetings were compulsory, I would get stick from my manager.

Rated 3/10

It aimed to invest a good amount, in line with other similar internships, many of these I already had and were very high level. I didn't learn many tangible things.

• There were no perks with this Internship

Rated 1/10

Maybe in the future coming in as an experienced hire and in another area of the bank not HNW.

Rated 7/10

I organised many of the events, only about a third would make it to much.

Very expensive

hardly anything

Rated 3/10

A couple of networking sessions.

Final Average Overall Review Ratings

Calculated by combining the answers in each section. Back to Top

• The Role Overall

• The Organisation Overall

★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
  • Everything Else Overall

The final verdict…

On average, this intern student rated Barclays - Wealth and Investment Management with a 2.9 star rating average.

★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Got a question about this Internship review? Ask the reviewer…

Sign up or sign in to ask a question

Employer’s Response To This Review

Sign up or sign in to publish a response

More Placements & Internship Reviews

These recent reviews are for similar roles and organisations over a similar period of time.

Recent Reviews
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Investment Analyst at Towers Watson
  • Location: Yorkshire and Humberside
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Communication & Change Management Intern at Towers Watson
  • Salary: £14,000 - £15,999
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Investment Intern at Towers Watson
  • Salary: £14,000 - £15,999
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Assurance Associate at PwC
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Internship at PwC
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer VAT tax associate at PwC
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Intern at PwC
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Actuarial Consultant at Towers Watson
  • Location: Greater London
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Pensions Assurance Intern at PwC
  • Salary: £12,000 - £13,999
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer RAS - Assurance Split Scheme. Intern at PwC
  • Location: North West
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Associate Intern- G & PS Assurance at PwC
  • Location: North West
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Intern (Retirement) at Towers Watson
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer RCS PC intern at Towers Watson
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Bank of America Merrill Lynch is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Global Markets intern at Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
  • Salary: £30,000+
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
KPMG is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Intern / Vacation Student at KPMG
KPMG
★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
  • Salary: £20,000 - £21,999

Placements & Internship Jobs Like This

New placements & internships by email each week!

These suggested internship and placement opportunities are for similar roles and organisations over a similar period of time.

Recent Jobs
Placement or Internship at Go Abroad China Internship Placement In China
Go Abroad China
Application deadline: 31st Aug 2014
  • Salary: Stipend (Could Cover Living Expenses). Free Networking. Tour And Cultural…
  • Locations: Nationwide
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months),Placement Year (10 Months+)
BDO is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Internship Programme
BDO
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
BlackRock is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Analytics & Risk - Portfolio Analytics - London
BlackRock
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Deloitte  is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Deloitte Summer Vacation Scheme opportunities in consulting
Deloitte
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Enterprise Rent-A-Car Internship Programme
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
EY is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer EY Summer Internship
EY
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. China Internship Program: Internships in Beijing and Shanghai
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. Business Development Internship In Shanghai, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. International Trade Internship In Shanghai, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. Marketing Internship In Shanghai, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. Finance Internship In Beijing, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. International Marketing Internship In Beijing, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Grant Thornton is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Grant Thornton Summer Internship
Grant Thornton
KPMG is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Vacation Programme
KPMG
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at On-Campus Promotions Brand Managers for On-Campus Promotions
On-Campus Promotions

Barclays - Wealth and Investment Management Company Profile

For more jobs, reviews and information about placement and internship schemes from Barclays - Wealth and Investment Management, visit their full company profile.

Visit their Full Company Profile