Internship Details

Job Title: Summer Intern in Monetary Analysis

Overall Rated 8.2

10 1

View breakdown

Got a specific project to work on during the 10 weeks. At the end I had to write a report (about 25 pages) and give a presentation (about an hour). I could also engage in some of my team's tasks not related to my project.

Rated 10/10

It was a very enjoyable experience and I am delighted I will be coming back.

Rated 10/10

I was receving constructive feedback from my managers on a regular basis throughout the internship. Many people from my team attended my final presentation and gave me good feedback afterwards.

Rated 10/10

I was given enough guidenance to know what I had to do, but at the same I was given freedom and encouragement to choose my own methods. On a few occasions when I got stuck with my project, my managers suggested possible solutions.

Rated 9/10

I had enough time to complete my project, and attend public lectures / seminars / presentations that were of interest to me. I usually worked 7-10 hours a day, (plus an hour lunch break), and I was busy most of this time.

Rated 7/10

I believe I was given the right degree of responsibility. My project was neither crucial to the team's operations nor urgent, so I did not feel very pressured. But I knew it was useful and the team was interested in seeing my results.

Rated 10/10

I learned some new skills, e.g. computer programming, that I never had to use before. I attended a whole-day presentation skills training session and could then apply the skills in practice during the final presentation (1 hour) when I had to present my results to the team . I had an opportunity to attend many interesting presentations / seminars / discussions / interdepartamental meetings almost every day - this allowed me to get to know the Bank from the inside, and learn about the monetary economics in theory, but also how the monetary policy is run in practice. It also meant that I could see the big picture and find out what other teams/departments were working on.

Rated 7/10

There is an open plan office, but it is usually surprisingly quiet. Everyone is nice and supportive, and the team usually spends an the lunch break together. We went out together on Friday evenings a few times during my 8 weeks there.

★★★★★★☆☆☆☆

Rated 6/10

The organisation by my team was very good and I knew from day 1 what my project was going to be. I feel the organisation by the HR was a bit less well-organised, even though my managers submitted my final evaluation on my last day, I had to wait a few weeks to find out if I was offered a permanent job. Also, some of the inductions crucial for the daily work at the bank (e.g. the one about using the bank's database and file-storage system) were quite late, 1-2 weeks after the start of the internship. Unlike in my other internships, the bank did not hold a 'welcome' or a 'farewell' reception for the interns.

Rated 10/10

I attended a whole-day presentational skills training, and the IT training. Almost everday there were some interesting seminars / presentations that I could attend. They were given both by the bank employees and by external researchers and academics. The Bank is one of the very few institutions that sponsors the whole cost of the postgraduate study (MSc), and also contributes to the PhD courses of its employees.

I got a job offer.

Rated 8/10

We used to eat lunches together in the bank canteen and often go out together after work.

★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

Rated 5/10

Pretty expensive - what you would expect in London.

Rated 8/10

The Bank is located in central London with many pubs and clubs and restaurants around.

★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

Rated 5/10

Final Average Overall Review Ratings

Calculated by combining the answers in each section. Back to Top

• The Role Overall

• The Organisation Overall

• Everything Else Overall

The final verdict…

On average, this intern student rated Bank of England with a 8.2 star rating average.

★★★★★★★★☆☆

Got a question about this Internship review? Ask the reviewer…

Sign up or sign in to ask a question

Employer’s Response To This Review

Sign up or sign in to publish a response

More Placements & Internship Reviews

These recent reviews are for similar roles and organisations over a similar period of time.

Recent Reviews
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Investment Analyst at Towers Watson
  • Location: Yorkshire and Humberside
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Communication & Change Management Intern at Towers Watson
  • Salary: £14,000 - £15,999
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Investment Intern at Towers Watson
  • Salary: £14,000 - £15,999
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Assurance Associate at PwC
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Internship at PwC
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer VAT tax associate at PwC
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Intern at PwC
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Actuarial Consultant at Towers Watson
  • Location: Greater London
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Pensions Assurance Intern at PwC
  • Salary: £12,000 - £13,999
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer RAS - Assurance Split Scheme. Intern at PwC
  • Location: North West
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
PwC is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Associate Intern- G & PS Assurance at PwC
  • Location: North West
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Intern (Retirement) at Towers Watson
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Towers Watson is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer RCS PC intern at Towers Watson
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Bank of America Merrill Lynch is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Global Markets intern at Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
  • Salary: £30,000+
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
KPMG is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Intern / Vacation Student at KPMG
KPMG
★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
  • Salary: £20,000 - £21,999

Placements & Internship Jobs Like This

New placements & internships by email each week!

These suggested internship and placement opportunities are for similar roles and organisations over a similar period of time.

Recent Jobs
Placement or Internship at Go Abroad China Internship Placement In China
Go Abroad China
Application deadline: 31st Aug 2014
  • Salary: Stipend (Could Cover Living Expenses). Free Networking. Tour And Cultural…
  • Locations: Nationwide
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months),Placement Year (10 Months+)
BDO is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Summer Internship Programme
BDO
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
BlackRock is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Analytics & Risk - Portfolio Analytics - London
BlackRock
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Deloitte  is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Deloitte Summer Vacation Scheme opportunities in consulting
Deloitte
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Enterprise Rent-A-Car Internship Programme
Enterprise Rent-A-Car
EY is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer EY Summer Internship
EY
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. China Internship Program: Internships in Beijing and Shanghai
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. Business Development Internship In Shanghai, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. International Trade Internship In Shanghai, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. Marketing Internship In Shanghai, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. Finance Internship In Beijing, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at Get in2 China Group Ltd. International Marketing Internship In Beijing, China
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Grant Thornton is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Grant Thornton Summer Internship
Grant Thornton
KPMG is a RateMyPlacement Top 75 Employer Vacation Programme
KPMG
  • Duration: Internship (1-4 Months)
Placement or Internship at On-Campus Promotions Brand Managers for On-Campus Promotions
On-Campus Promotions

Bank of England Company Profile

For more jobs, reviews and information about placement and internship schemes from Bank of England, visit their full company profile.

Visit their Full Company Profile